Diversity and inclusion
Why bother with diversity and inclusion?
- To understand one other's challenges and work collaboratively to overcome them
- To uncover barriers to attraction, retention, and promotion for different groups of people
- To highlight our unique differences, educate others, and have instinctive empathy with our customers and clients
How can we promote an inclusive workplace?
- Create an inclusive culture where people feel able to share their thoughts, ideas, and lived experiences
- Communicate with authenticity
- Developing and highlight role models, and run programmes such as reverse mentoring and coaching
What can you do to promote inclusive leadership?
- Support one another, and help understand and celebrate diversity
- Find new ways to engage more people
- Develop innovative strategies, policies, and processes
- Bring innovative thinking to your workplace
Sue Chittock ACII
Sue has worked at Aviva for the past 25 years as a Casualty and Property Underwriter focusing on the industrial sector.
Last year Sue took up a secondment with human resources, leading Aviva's UK Diversity and Inclusion programme.
Sue is currently working with the Department of Work and Pensions on articulating a robust business case for employers supporting carers on their workforce. She is also looking at staff experiences and expectations as they approach retirement age.
In her spare time Sue is a member of the Army Reserve and has completed two tours of Afghanistan. She has recently provided input in the Force Troop Commander's Diversity and Inclusion strategy and delivered inclusive leadership training for junior commanders.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
1 hour's CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.