Liability Insurance: how best to cover your clients
We are delighted to welcome Alan back to the Island to run this session which will be applicable for brokers, underwriters, claims staff and loss adjusters, plus anyone who is studying the CII diploma module M96 Liability insurances.
The two-hour workshop will look at how claims can arise under all the main liability covers of Employers Liability, Public Liability, Products Liability and Professional Indemnity. It explores how claims are on the increase due to the changing litigious nature of society, how liability arises in tort, statute and contract in all the main liability covers and how to best put in the place the right cover to meet the customer's needs.
Given the insurance industry did not get the Ogden table rate adjustment it was looking for we will explore how the traditional limits of indemnity such as £10m on EL, £5m on PL and Products are almost certainly too low, leaving clients and brokers exposed to legal claims.
We will also explore why the UK Insurance Act 2015 means clients and brokers are exposed to litigation, and with professional indemnity this is particularly so, with clients and brokers inadvertently failing to provide a 'fair presentation of risk'. We will look at why it is far better for a client to go through a broker for these covers than go direct on a non advised basis, and the hazards for clients if they choose the non advised option.
Because of Solvency II and the Ogden table change we are in a period of a perfect storm where certain classes of business such as roofers and motor traders will be finding it increasingly difficult to secure any sort of cover, and this presentation will explore why this is happening.
By attending this event, delegates will be able to identify:
- how an employer can became liable for injuries to their staff
• how liability can arise through negligence as well as understanding the statutory obligations of an employer and how these affect liability
• how an EL policy deals with these liabilities if set up correctly
• how an insured can become legally liable for third party injury and property damage
• how a public liability policy deals with these liabilities and the problems that could happen if cover is set up incorrectly
• how an insured can become legally liable for third party injury and property damage following the supply of products
• how the tort Negligence and strict liability under the consumer protection act 1987 affects your clients
• how a products liability policy deals with these liabilities and the problems that could happen if cover is set up incorrectly.
• when professional indemnity cover is needed and the major legal cases relating to the professional indemnity market
• how to set up a professional indemnity policy correctly to properly protect your client.
This presentation is a must for brokers, underwriters and claims staff alike.
The fee for attending the event is £30 for members of the CII / PFS & £40 for all non-members.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
2 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.