Brexit: Deal or no deal? Are we ready?
Registration from 11:45am to start lecture at 12:00pm, to finish at 13:30pm
Join us to hear an update on the readiness of the industry for the permanently delayed Brexit process.
We’ll hear from Matthew Connell, Director of Policy and Public Affairs for the CII. His presentation will be focused around employability of Insurance professionals and the validity of qualifications in a post Brexit UK.
Additionally, Carol Hall, Assistant Director, Head of European and International Affairs for the ABI, will discuss the key issues affecting the industry, how we’ve worked with the Government and how prepared we are, whatever the scenario.
Following presentations from both we will then receive questions from the audience in a panel style for 15 minutes.
By the end of this lecture delegates will:
- What the key issues are (and have been) for the insurance industry
- How the sector has engaged with Government (and European officials) on these issues
- How prepared the insurance industry is for Brexit – deal or no deal
- Understand the impact of Brexit on insurance professionals in the UK, and their employability across the EU after Brexit
- Understand how this may affect ‘retail’ and ‘wholesale’ insurance differently
- Understand the institutions and processes aimed at ensuring UK qualifications are recognised in the EU
- Understand how the case study of agreeing a level playing field for qualifications can shed light on wider developments around Brexit
Director of Policy and Public Affairs at the Chartered Insurance Institute
Matthew's focus is to build public trust in insurance through dialogue with consumers, policymakers, influencers and industry professionals. He has worked at the CII since March 2017.
Previously, he was Head of Regulatory Developments for Zurich Insurance Group’s UK Life Business. He has worked in banking and insurance for more than 20 years, and was the Chairman of the Investment and Life Assurance Group (ILAG) between 2015 and 2017. He holds an MSc in Public Relations from the University of Sterling and a PhD in Policy Studies from the University of Warwick.
Assistant Director, Head of European and International Affairs, ABI
Carol is a member of the ABI’s Regulation team and the Management team, although works across the whole ABI on EU and International policy work. Carol has 15 years experience of combining financial services and European affairs, and is a well-known insurance lobbyist at European level.
Carol joined the ABI in 2008 from the European Parliament in Brussels, where she was the assistant to Sharon Bowles MEP, on the Economic and Monetary Affairs committee, from 2005-2008, and prior to that assistant to Chris Huhne MEP from 2003-2005.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
1 1/2 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.