Tackling Stress at Work - A modern approach
Speaker: Dr Phil McCrea Mb, Bch, BAO, MD, MRCP (UK), FRCP (Glasg), MFOM, MFOM (RCPI), Chief Medical Officer, BHFS
Tuesday 12th November 2019
A pizza buffet will be served at 5.30pm for a 6pm start.
Where: Pizza Express, 32 Earl St, Maidstone ME14 1PF
This talk will look at stress and anxiety in the workplace, how to recognise symptoms in yourselves and others and coping strategies.
This lecture should be of interest to both General Insurance and PFS members as well as office managers and HR professionals as in the modern workplace stress on are areas that are affecting more and more people.
By the end of this lecture, delegates will be able to identify:
Mental health issues in the UK are heading towards epidemic proportions yet the system has no answers
Why is this happening?
Employers need to step up and intervene: why should they? How can they? What will it cost? What if they don’t?
50% UK employers have an EAP and that should solve the problem?
Why do EAP’s not work?
- ERP is round the corner and may well be the solution.
Your Speaker -
Dr Philip McCrea Mb, Bch, BAO, MD, MRCP (UK), FRCP (Glasg), MFOM, MFOM (RCPI)
Philip ran his own OH company, Occupational Health Consultants, for many years before selling the business to BHSF in 2013. He acted as Medical Director of BHSF Occupational Health for a while before becoming Managing Director in February 2015.On 1st September he became Chief Medical Officer as part of the “One business” reorganisation of BHSF.
- Appointed Doctor under Lead and Asbestos Regulations(NI) via the Health & Safety Executive (NI)
- Expert Witness for the Law Society in Northern Ireland. A frequent attender in Court in Belfast and Dublin, as well as attending 168 Industrial Tribunals on behalf of customers
- Occupational Health Advisor to the Engineering Employers Federation in Northern Ireland.
- A participant in the UK Surveillance Schemes in Occupational Dermatology, Respiratory Disease and Musculoskeletal Disorders.
- An Advisor to Insurance Companies on risk management and employers’ liability insurance claims.
- As a Post Graduate Advisor to the National University of Ireland (Galway), was a lecturer on the Diploma/MSc in occupational health, hygiene and ergonomics
- Participated and gave advice to the Specialist Training Programme in Queen’s University Belfast.
- An Examiner for the Faculty of Occupational Medicine in London in postgraduate examinations and am a reviewer of articles submitted to Occupational Medicine.
- United Kingdom Offshore Operators Association (UKOOA) Approved Doctor.
- Consulting Medical Officer in December 2005 to February 2015 to Irish Life, Ireland’s largest corporate insurer.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
1 hour's CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.