Legal Principles of Insurance Workshop-12.7.18
This lunchtime presentation will be run by Alan Chandler, Chartered Insurer who is one of the leading UK insurance trainers.
There are six main legal principles of insurance that underpin the insurance industry, these are:
2.The duty not to misrepresent/fair presentation of risk
6. Proximate cause
This presentation will take a journey through these six principles to enable all to gain a practical understanding of how these affect day to day roles within the insurance industry. This presentation is suitable for brokers, underwriters, claims staff, loss adjuster and anyone else within the insurance sector and it is an absolute must for anyone sitting Cii exams such as IF1 or MO5.
- Understand how insurable interest affects different classes of business in different ways
- Comprehend how the law has replaced the duty of utmost good faith with a duty not to misrepresent for consumers and a duty of fair presentation of risk for commercial customers
- Understand how the principle of indemnity affects insurance contracts and the situations where the insured can get more or less than indemnity
- Be able to see how principle of subrogation (insurer recovery) works in practice
- Understand how the principle of contribution works and see how dual insurance situations are becoming ever more common
- Understand how proximate cause is not always the first cause and how it works in practice
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
2 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.