Flood Risks in the Lower Don Valley
The Insurance Institute of Sheffield has been liaising between Insurers and the Lower Don Valley Flood Defence Project for the last two years, as this amazing collaboration - between local businesses in the LDV, Sheffield City Council, Sheffield Chamber of Commerce, The Environment Agency and others - has worked together to increase the standard of flood protection through engineering works and ongoing channel maintenance.
The LDV was devastated by the Sheffield floods in 2007 and this is the successful culmination of the area’s fight back and plan for the future.
This seminar celebrates the conclusion of the works and tells the story of this extraordinary project.
Importantly however, it is an opportunity to present the case for ongoing attention to Flood Risk Management, and the benefits this has for the ability to arrange insurance protection and help create economic prosperity and investment opportunities in an area that has faced huge challenges.
Presentations will be made about/by:
- Sheffield Chamber: to explain the background to the Project
- Sheffield City Council: to clarify the ongoing nature of the Project
- Insurers who have engaged with the Project.
- A Broker’s perspective
- Flood resilience & business continuity experts
- Flood claims management and reinstatement/recovery
- Q&A Session
Insurers supporting the event include:
They will be bringing handouts and materials to help firms build effective flood resilience plans.
The participating businesses have also been invited to attend.
This is therefore a unique event in that it brings together all those who have a stake in these important issues together in one room to help form a joint strategy for future business prosperity and perhaps also be a beacon of optimism for other areas that have been blighted by floods.
Learning Objectives for CII members attending.
At the end of the session delegates will be able to identify:
- an understanding of the issues around flood defence projects.
- an understanding of the benefits of arranging covers that are suitable to protect businesses against flood risks specifically and other risks that have potential to disrupt businesses for long periods.
- an understanding of the benefits of risk resilience measures and business continuity planning as part of risk management.
- an understanding of how flood claims are settled and possible changes in Insurers attitudes to reinstatement with improved future resilience in mind.
Places will be limited and we anticipate high demand as well as media interest.
For more information, please contact Steve Dunn: firstname.lastname@example.org (07931 384128)
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
2 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.