J02 Trusts January 2022
This event will be held via video webinar.
If you have any questions please contact Susan Stamp at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07933 998426.
This course aims to significantly improve delegates' chances of passing their exam by developing an understanding of the key technical points that are likely to be tested.
If you would like to join us for this event, please click on the Book Now button below.
Led by John Trayner, a CII Approved Trainer, the workshop will start at 9.00 am and end at 5.00 pm, providing a full six hours’ CPD. The cost is £80 for members, (non-members £100). (Please note, to benefit from the discounted rate, you will be required to provide your membership number at the time of booking.)
Payment can be made by credit/debit card or you can request an invoice to pay offline by cheque or BACS transfer. Credit/debit card payments can only be accepted online at the time of booking and not afterwards.
By the end of this event delegates will be able to:
- understand the key characteristics of a trust
- explain how trusts can be set up
- explain the roles and responsibilities of trustees including their powers to invest
- explain the main characteristics of Absolute, Interest in Possession and Discretionary Trusts
- understand how liability for income and capital gains tax will be calculated for trustees and beneficiaries for all three types of trusts
- identify what is a Relevant Property Trust and a Non-Relevant Property Trust and explain how this status affects liability to IHT
- understand the main uses of trusts in financial planning
- explain the requirements for a will to be valid and the process to be followed by the executors in distributing the estate
- know how a deceased’s estate is taxed before it is distributed
- explain the rules of intestacy and the uses of Deeds of Variation
- understand the concept of mental capacity and how it is used to establish the ability of an individual to made decisions
- explain how a General Power and Lasting Power of Attorney can be set up and administered
- explain the procedures and implications of being made bankrupt
Please note that this webinar will be run using Zoom technology and you may need to install relevant software onto your computer, tablet, etc in order to follow the webinar.
Full joining instructions will be sent to delegates ahead of the event.
About our speaker
John has over 40 years’ experience in insurance and financial services. Not surprisingly most of his former employers no longer exist because of mergers and takeovers. For example he joined Leeds Permanent Building Society in 1986 and at retirement was working for Lloyds Banking Group even though he’d never changed employers! The last 15 years were spent in the training department specialising in professional exams.
Not wishing to spend retirement watching daytime TV he decided to become a freelance trainer specialising in helping people to pass the CII’s Financial Services exams.
John is a Chartered Insurance Practitioner and a Fellow of both the Chartered Insurance Institute and the Personal Finance Society.
- ZOOM WEBINAR
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
6 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.