The Insurance Institute of Stoke on Trent was founded on 15th February 1909 as The Insurance Institute of North Staffordshire.
In the Post Magazine of 6th March 1909 it was reported that: "At a meeting of insurance officials held at the Grand Hotel it was unanimously decided to form a local institute. Practically every eligible official in the district has agreed to be associated with the scheme, and the following were elected as officers for the first session, 1909-1910:-
President:- Mr T Hartley(Royal)
Vice President:- Mr A J Lodge (Ocean)
Hon Secretary:- Mr E G Williams (Commercial Union)
Hon Treasurer:- Mr B H Wedgwood (Central)
The Institute held a supper and smoking concert at the same hotel. There was a good attendance and a very enjoyable evening was spent."
The institute changed its name to the Insurance Institute of Stoke on Trent in 1930.
The start of our Centenary Year was celebrated on 17 February 2009 with a lecture held at the Britannia Stadium attended by over 50 members and guests. The key-note speaker for the evening was Dr Sandy Scott, Chief Executive Officer of the Chartered Insurance Institute.
During the Centenary Year our Institute hosted the final of The Insurance Charities golf competition. The CII President, Barry Smith, attended our Centenary Gala Dinner on 16 October.