MLS Lecture: Product liability: when damage is not “damage”
Slides available to download
Time: 12:15pm - 1pm (Registration from 12pm)
We will look at the pure economic loss policy coverage conundrum following the Bacardi decision.
- A reminder of the scope of product liability insurance and the basic principles which underpin it.
- A deep-dive into the concept of pure economic loss following the case of Bacardi-Martini Beverages v Thomas Hardy Packaging (2002).
- Implications for coverage and relevant policy extensions.
- A brief comparison between the approach adopted in the UK and that of other international jurisdictions.
- What does the future hold in this area?
Simon is a London-based Partner at Weightmans with over 16 years’ experience handling complex, high value disputes on behalf of insurers. He has a particular interest in product liability claims and associated policy coverage advice. Simon regularly advises insurers on policy drafting and recently assisted a major UK insurer with the creation of a new product liability policy for use in the health care sector and a suite of policies, including a product liability cover, for use in the SME market.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
3/4 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.