Health and Safety - when it all goes wrong!
Speaker: Peter James, Parabis Law
This lecture will provide attendees with an interesting overview of the legal aspects of Health & Safety from Peter James, Partner at Parabis Law, covering the following key points:
- Outline of common health and safety offences.
- Who can be prosecuted for health and safety offences?
- Policy cover for those prosecuted
- Sentencing following conviction
- Proposed new guidance for Magistrates and Judges
- Examples of likely sentences
- Legal defence costs
Who should attend
Insurers, Brokers and Adjusters, Risk Managers and those concerned with EL PL and D & O claims.
By the end of the session, you will:
- have an overview of typical health and safety offences and those who can be prosecuted
- have a clear picture of a typical prosecution
- be able to outline how the courts currently sentence offenders
- be able to describe the new guidelines are likely to operate and the effect on the level of fines
- be able to discuss impact on insurers and policyholders.
Peter is a Partner at Parabis Law, a specialist in health and safety and environmental law. He qualified as a solicitor in 1994 and has experience in all areas of insurance related litigation, including employers’ liability, public liability and road traffic accidents.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
1 hour's CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.