VIRTUAL WORKSHOP - Presentation Skills
Virtual Training - Overview
Presenting information impacts on all of us be it formal or informal. This virtual workshop considers the principal requirements for delivering an effective presentation to an internal team and/or an external audience. Presentations demand that we are structured and professional in our approach. For many, there is a fear of presenting and this can get in the way of delivering the required message.
The approach for this development will be to attend a 90-minute group session, to cover the key areas of presenting. It will start with you delivering a 1-minute initial self-introduction/presentation. Following this you will have the opportunity to consider the key areas of presenting. You will then be allocated a 20 minute time slot in the afternoon for a one-to-one coaching session where you will deliver a 5 minute presentation, following which you will discuss this and any other aspect of the session in support of developing your ability to present effectively.
Please identify a topic on which you can present for 5 minutes. Give some thought to what you might include but don’t produce the full presentation at this stage. Remember the purpose of the training is to develop your awareness of presenting, with the opportunity of a personal practice session.
The focus of the session is on developing your skills and awareness around the areas of:
- Psychology – the right mental approach
- Delivering – verbal and non-verbal
- Structuring – preparing the presentation
- Managing – keeping control
The style of the session will be interactive, informative and practical with the focus on using the skills immediately back in the workplace.
By the end of the session you will be able to:
- State the meaning and importance of two-way communication
- Identify the benefits of using appropriate language, tone of voice and body posture
- Plan and structure an effective presentation
- Select appropriate support materials
- Respond positively to questions
- Apply techniques for developing confidence and overcoming nerves
Group Session (90 minutes)
Setting the Scene
- Programme Overview
- Introductions and Individual Objectives (1-minute presentation)
Communication and Impact
- Managing Nerves and Anxiety
- Personal Presence & Impact
Preparing the Presentation
- Developing a Logical Structure
- Setting Objectives
- Using Visual Aids
- Managing the Logistics
- Developing Two-Way Discussions
- Encouraging and Coping with Questions
One-to-one-Coaching Session (20 minutes)
Putting it into Practice
- Delivering the Presentation
- Review of any Key Aspects of Presenting
- Actions for Personal Development
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
3 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.